NEW YORK & MAINZ, GERMANY–(BUSINESS WIRE)– Pfizer Inc. (NYSE: PFE) and BioNTech SE (Nasdaq: BNTX) today announced their mRNA-based vaccine candidate, BNT162b2, against SARS-CoV-2 has demonstrated evidence of efficacy against COVID-19 in participants without prior evidence of SARS-CoV-2 infection, based on the first interim efficacy analysis conducted on November 8, 2020 by an external, independent Data Monitoring Committee (DMC) from the Phase 3 clinical study.
This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20201109005539/en/
- Vaccine candidate was found to be more than 90% effective in preventing COVID-19 in participants without evidence of prior SARS-CoV-2 infection in the first interim efficacy analysis
- Analysis evaluated 94 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in trial participants
- Study enrolled 43,538 participants, with 42% having diverse backgrounds, and no serious safety concerns have been observed; Safety and additional efficacy data continue to be collected
- Submission for Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) planned for soon after the required safety milestone is achieved, which is currently expected to occur in the third week of November
- Clinical trial to continue through to final analysis at 164 confirmed cases in order to collect further data and characterize the vaccine candidate’s performance against other study endpoints
- Most vaccines are 90% effective… Even a 60 to 70% effective vaccine will reduce the transmission rate significantly and the virus will die down eventually
BIDEN SAYS PFIZER’S NEWS DOES NOT CHANGE ‘URGENT REALITY’ THAT MASKS, DISTANCING AND OTHER HEALTH MEASURES NEEDED WELL INTO 2021
BIDEN SAYS DESPITE PFIZER VACCINE NEWS ‘IT WILL BE MANY MORE MONTHS BEFORE THERE IS WIDESPREAD VACCINATION’ IN U.S.