You need big winners to pay for all your little losses. When the opportunity of a high probability entry happens you must take it. Or if you are trading a trend following system and are in a draw down you must keep trading in the direction of the trend so you will catch the big wave when it hits.
- Let your winners run until you are stopped out with a trailing stop or a candle stick signal of an eminent reversal.
- Do not exit a winner until it stops moving in your direction.
- Enter a trade only with the a minimum 1:1 risk to reward ratio, the upside has to always appear to be bigger than the downside.
- Only trend trade trending equities and markets, swing trade range bound stocks and markets. Remember that they only fit these classifications until they don’t.
- Do not marry a trade, only date it.
- Only trade a method or system that is a proven winner over the long term.
- Do not fight the market go with the directional flow, until the flow changes.
- Go long the best stocks and the best up trending markets, short junk stocks and down trending markets. Picking tops and bottoms before they reverse is trading suicide. This is Trading 101.
- First define your risk, then your position size.
- Never risk more than 1% of your capital on any one trade.
- Never expose more than 6% of your capital to risk at any one time.
- Always follow your predetermined stop loss.
- Always follow a predetermined trading plan that was written before the market opened.
- Account for volatility in your position size.
- Admit being wrong quickly and exit a trade when it does not act as needed.
You are the quarterback throwing the touchdowns and the lineman blocking the run down the line. Play hard while on both sides of the ball.